Buchan House, Edinburgh

Client: S Harrison Developments LtdLocation: EdinburghScale: 72 bedrooms/ 44,000 sq ftStatus: Ongoing

Buchan House

Bringing life back to St Andrew Square

Set within the New Town Conservation Area and Edinburgh’s World Heritage Site, the Category A-listed property is one of St Andrew Square’s most prominent and historic buildings. It consists of several buildings that cover approximately 44,000 sq ft on the north-west corner of Saint Andrew Square, where it meets North Saint David Street.

The main part of the building was built in 1775 as five houses by renowned architect and builder John Young, who was the first tradesman to build in Edinburgh’s New Town. The buildings were most recently used as modern offices, but had fallen into disuse and remained empty for two years before Harrison acquired the site.

Turley submitted a planning application to transform Buchan House into a 72-bedroom hotel complete with bar and restaurant areas, which would be owned and operated by one of the UK’s leading hotel brands. The scheme reverses many of the unsympathetic modern interventions whilst retaining, restoring and reinstating original features.

A collaborative approach led by Turley Planning included inputs from Heritage, Economics and Sustainability. Initial work focussed on heritage assessment to inform design, along with the assessment of economic benefit and sustainability proposals.